Residential Roof Damage Lawyer in Tampa, FL
We can all agree that having a roof over your head is a fundamental human necessity. What happens when this roof gets damaged? It’s a major inconvenience, and it can waste precious time in our busy lives as we deal with insurance claims, contractors, and claims adjusters. Who should you contact first? What steps should you take to get your roof repaired? We know you have a lot of questions. Some of the most frequently asked questions about roof damage are going to be answered below.
What are the Most Common Causes of Roof Storm Damage?
Whether your roof is in good shape or not doesn’t mean you may not find yourself dealing with roof storm damage at some point, especially here in Florida, where hurricanes and strong tropical storms are a common occurrence. Cracks, holes, and broken or missing shingles can cause water to slowly seep in, rotting the materials supporting your roof, whether it’s the wooden support beams, plaster ceilings, or drywall. This could have really big consequences. Some of the most common causes of roof storm damage include:
- Hail damage to roof and shingles
- Torrential rains damage the roof, causing leaks
- Wind damage to roof and shingles
- Lightning strikes that set the roof on fire
- Fallen trees or large branches
- Sinkholes from rotted and damaged support beams
Should I File an Insurance Claim for Roof Storm Damage?
You absolutely should. But keep in mind that every claim comes with its own set of circumstances and intricacies. Before you file your claim, you should make a list of everything that could be to blame. To start filing a claim, you must provide proof that the damages were caused by something out of your control.
Make a note of what materials were used in the construction of your roof. If you happen to have any maintenance records, it would be helpful to include those in the claim as well. The more information you’re able to provide, the less likely your insurance company is to deny your claim.
Would a Public Adjuster Help?
Yes, a third-party, public adjuster can provide an unbiased estimate of the damages. They can also conclude if the damages were due to the homeowner’s negligence or caused by outside forces. They are able to help settle your claim in case your insurance company is trying to delay or deny your claim.
Additionally, if the damages are severe enough, you might have to temporarily live in a different location. Your insurance company could cover any extra charges like a living expense for a hotel. Contacting an experienced roof damage insurance claim lawyer can help you expedite the process and get back to living your best life.
Which Steps Should I Take for Roof Storm Damage?
It can be confusing to figure out what exactly to do. Do not try to make storm roof damage repairs yourself. An experienced roof damage insurance claim lawyer can help speed up the whole process of filing the claim. Regardless of how you wish to proceed, these are the steps you should take:
- Make a list of all of your damages. Make sure to take photographs and record videos as well. This will help provide additional proof if needed.
- Make temporary repairs. These repairs will help prevent any further damage to your home. If you don’t attempt to fix your roof, your insurer might deny your claim based on negligence.
- Of course, when making repairs, you’re bound to spend money. Save any receipts related to these repairs. Document any money spent on your roof, whether you did the repair yourself or let a third party handle it.
- If the damage to your roof is so severe that you can not safely live in your home anymore, make sure to save the receipts of any money spent on living expenses. These include hotel costs, transportation costs, et cetera.
Roof Damage Lawyer in Tampa
A damaged roof is frustrating and inconvenient, but dealing with your insurance company doesn’t have to be. By following the steps outlined, you should be able to make the whole process as seamless as possible. And becoming more familiarized with the process will mean a smoother process all around. Despite as much as you might have learned, it is invaluable to get the opinion of an independent third party.
At Darrigo & Diaz, we are one of Tampa’s most prolific roof damage insurance claim lawyer firms. If you’re having trouble with the insurance company approving your roof storm damage claim, we urge you to call us at (813) 774-3341 for a complimentary, no-obligation consultation right over the phone as soon as possible. To make it even more convenient, we also offer Zoom meetings. Contact us to schedule a Zoom meeting and we’ll handle the rest.