RSD (REFLEX SYMPATHETIC DYSTROPHY) LAWYERS IN TAMPA
RSD (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy) is a chronic and progressive neurological ailment that affects the bones, joints, muscles and skin. Also called “Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS), RSD is, in simple terms, a soft tissue or nerve injury that deviates from ideal healing patterns. In most cases, RSD appears after an injury, such as a broken bone or surgery.
Under the right circumstances, the victim cannot name an inciting event (when the injury happened). According to medical research, RSD is not linked to the severity of the initial injury; it can develop after minor accidents and strain, such as a sprain. RSD simply occurs when the nerves develop atypical functions after the injury.
How to Identify RSD
RSD is a painful condition. Pain can start in one location, such as a limb, and spread to other portions of the body. If you sustained a soft tissue injury, look out for these symptoms during the healing process:
- Excessive Sweating
- Burning Pain
Types of RSD: CRPS Type I and CRPS Type II
- CRPS Type I – Type I occurs when the injury is not known. In other words, the nerve damage cannot be identified immediately following the trauma. After the accident, pain develops that would typically not follow such an injury. This includes increased sensitivity and changes in skin / blood flow. Type one is also identifiable by abnormal sweating near the site of the injury.
- CRPS Type II – Type II occurs after a major nerve injury. Unlike Type I, Type II is immediately linked to the harmful event (injury). The symptoms of Type II are similar to Type I and include changes in temperature near the site of the injury, abnormal sweating, and changes in blood flow, which affects skin coloration. About 65% of Type II cases are linked to nerve injuries such as burns and sprains.
What Causes RSD / CRPS?
A variety of serious health risks are linked to RSD / CRPS. These conditions arise when the motor, immune, and nervous systems are affected by the accident. Causation may include:
- Spinal Cord Injuries and disorders
- Trauma (broken bones or serious injuries)
- Radiation Therapy
- Paralysis Injuries
- Repetitive motion disorders (carpal tunnel syndrome)
Your Rights After a Personal Injury in Tampa
If you suffered an injury and subsequent medical complications such as RSD, speak with a Tampa personal injurylawyer today. RSD can lead to serious medical problems and expenses, and may prolong or halt the healing process after an injury. At Darrigo & Diaz, our team can help you seek full compensation for your damages, including future and past medical expenses linked to your RSD. For a free, no-obligation legal consultation, call our office today. You don’t pay us unless we win your case.