WALTER L. “J.R.” GRANTHAM
For more than 30 years Walter L. “J.R.” Grantham has been litigating cases in courts throughout the State of Florida. J.R., as he is known within these courtrooms, uses the trial skills that he has gained to help those who are injured receive the damages that they deserve. Today, J.R. serves as a litigation attorney at Darrigo & Diaz, helping to spearhead the large case division at the firm.
J.R.’s trial experience began while when he was selected as an intern, prosecuting misdemeanor & DUI crimes while still a student at Stetson University College of Law. Upon his graduation from Stetson’s Law School in May 1987, he continued with the State Attorney’s Office as an Assistant State Attorney, where he not only prosecuted traffic, misdemeanor, and felony crimes; he also served as a Lead Trial Attorney supervising 5 other prosecutors. He was also selected to be one of the six attorneys responsible for investigating (including responding to the scenes of alcohol-related fatality accidents), and prosecuting DUI Serious Bodily Injury and DUI Manslaughter cases. This experience has formed the foundation of J.R.’s ability to handle complex, catastrophic, and wrongful death claims on behalf of the injured.
In 1990, J.R. resigned as a prosecutor and devoted using his trial experience and skills representing the injured and those charged with committing crimes. He formed his own litigation law firm in November 1992, until he closed his practice in April 2015, taking a position as a Litigation Manager in a prominent Tampa Law Firm. Throughout his private practice, J.R. has continued to emphasize the need for investigation, preparation, and dedication for those who put their trust in him to speak on their behalf. J.R.’s unique experience allows him to creatively gather and present the facts necessary to prove what happened to his client, and he believes it is not enough to just tell his client’s story.
Since his entry into law school and even today, J.R. has assisted multiple charities including Metropolitan Ministries, FEAST Food Pantry, and St. Vincent de Paul’s Food Kitchen. Additionally, J.R. has served on numerous legal committees, positions, and Chairmanships for multiple bar associations.
Currently, J.R. has brought his one of a kind litigation experience to Darrigo & Diaz where he handles complex, catastrophic, and wrongful death claims.
- Florida, 1987
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida, 2011
- United States Supreme Court, 2005
- Stetson University College of Law, Gulf Port, Florida – J.D. 1987
- University of Mississippi, Oxford, Mississippi – B.A. 1984 (major Political Science, minor English)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Florida Bar
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- American Bar Association
- Clearwater Bar Association, Trustee 2013-2015
- Clearwater Bar Foundation, Trustee 2011-2013
- Hillsboro County Bar Association
Awards & Certificates
- Six Sigma Green Belt, Villanova University
- Service Recognition, Clearwater Bar Association
- Who’s Who Among American Law Schools
- Silver Key Recipient, American Bar Association/Law Student Division