Home » Blog » 7 tips for a safe and fun New Year’s Eve
7 tips for a safe and fun New Year’s Eve
Posted By Darrigo & Diaz
As we prepare to ring in the new year, it’s important to prioritize safety—especially if you are driving on New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, New Year drunk driving deaths exceed those of any other day of the year. On average, drunk driving-related deaths spike 117% above the baseline average on New Year’s Day, making it the most dangerous holiday of the year for drunk driving. Therefore, whether you are hosting a party or attending an event this year, take a moment to review our tips to have a safe and fun New Year’s celebration.
7 safety tips to avoid dangerous driving on New Year’s Eve
1. Don’t drive under the influence – First and foremost, if you plan on drinking during your New Year’s Eve celebration, designate a sober driver. Driving under the influence not only puts your life at risk but also endangers others on the road. Make responsible choices to keep the roads safe for everyone.
2. Use rideshare services – Rideshare services like Uber and Lyft provide a convenient and safe alternative to driving under the influence. These services are widely available, especially on New Year’s Eve, and can be easily accessed through smartphone apps. By using a rideshare service, you not only protect yourself but also contribute to making the roads safer for everyone.
3. Drive defensively – On New Year’s Eve, the roads may be busier than usual, and some drivers may be impaired. Practice defensive driving by staying alert, maintaining a safe following distance, and being prepared for sudden maneuvers by other motorists. Anticipate potential risks and react calmly to ensure your safety.
4. Avoid distractions – Distracted driving is a major contributor to accidents. Keep your phone out of reach, set your GPS before starting your journey, and focus solely on the road. Eliminating distractions enhances your ability to react to changing traffic conditions and ensures a safer driving experience.
5. Be mindful of pedestrians – New Year’s Eve often involves people walking to and from parties and events. Be extra cautious in areas with pedestrians, especially around crosswalks. Yield to pedestrians, obey traffic signals, and reduce your speed in areas where people are likely to be walking.
6. Report impaired drivers – If you witness a driver exhibiting signs of impairment, do not hesitate to report it to the local authorities. Your quick action could prevent a potential tragedy and contribute to making the roads safer for everyone.
7. Buckle up – It may seem like a basic reminder, but wearing your seatbelt is non-negotiable. Seatbelts are a primary safety feature in any vehicle and can significantly reduce the risk of injury in the event of an accident. Ensure that all passengers in your vehicle are also properly restrained.
Whether you’re out on the town or celebrating in the comfort of your home, prioritize safety to make the transition to the new year a positive and accident-free experience for everyone. Here’s to a happy, healthy, and safe New Year!
Injured in an accident in Central Florida?
Call Darrigo & Diaz at 813-437-9077 to speak with our experienced Central Florida personal injury attorneys.
If your or a loved one has been injured in a car accident in Central Florida, the skilled car accident attorneys at Darrigo & Diaz are here to help. Since 1999, we have helped individuals throughout Central Florida get the justice and compensation they need and deserve. We have the expertise and experience you need to take on big corporations and insurance companies in the courtroom. We fight for our clients, ensuring they receive the physical, emotional and financial support they need to heal, recover, and move forward.
Call now, or complete the form below to request a free consultation.
What Our Clients Are Saying
I was recommended by a great friend of mine to go through with Darrigo & Diaz, and believe me they did not disappoint. They were very responsive with every action they took and made the whole process care free for me. I had a meeting with them, we went over all my options, and figured out the best plan of action. The next thing I know they give me a call, tell me everything is settled, and sent me the check that I was receiving. I didn’t have to do a thing. They will be used by me for all my future needs.
DD Law Tampa
Nothing but the best service!! From day one of stepping into the office, the whole staff made me feel so welcomed and just like part of their little family. They called to check on me and how I was feeling in the days to follow. Even if there was no new info on my case they would call me just to tell me that and keep me in the loop the whole time. I never felt forgotten about or like my case had just been pushed to the side. I’d recommend Darrigo & Diaz to anyone in need of some great attorneys.
DD Law Tampa
Muy Buenos abogados!. y las paralegales muy amables y profesionales. Miriam se tomo su tiempo para explicarme todo el proceso y responder todas mis preguntas, muy satisfecha con la atencion que me brindaron.
DD Law Tampa
Esta oficina me ha ayudado con documentos y asuntos legales. Ellos no te cobran si no ganan tu caso de heridas personales. los recomiendo 100%... todos son muy atentos y si la paralegal Yanely Perez lo atiende de por hecho que esta en buenas manos.