5 Questions to Ask Before Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer
Posted By Darrigo & Diaz
The aftermath of an accident in which you have been injured can be an overwhelming one, and with so much going on, it is understandable that one of the last things on your mind is legal action. In addition to the physical pain of your injury, other things on your mind may include the amount of time you have spent away from your job during your recovery, as well as how you are going to pay your mounting medical bills and living expenses. As difficult as it may be to think of the legal aspect of your case, it is extremely important to speak with an attorney as soon as you feel well enough to do so. While you focus on your recovery, your attorney can pursue maximum compensation to cover your losses.
But how do you know which attorney to choose? It is important that you don’t just hire any lawyer – you want to hire someone with an outstanding reputation, ample experience, and a history of results handling similar cases. When interviewing potential personal injury attorneys to represent you, consider this list of questions that you should ask:
- How long have you been practicing personal injury? Perhaps one of the most important qualifications a good personal injury attorney can have is experience. You should make sure that the attorney you choose has handled your type of case in the past, and that they have the specialized knowledge necessary to pursue maximum results. Inexperienced attorneys often have less effective negotiation and trial skills, which could result in a less favorable outcome.
- Do you have any special licenses or certifications? It is of great benefit to you to choose someone who has additional licenses and certifications that speak to their knowledge and skill as a legal professional. At Darrigo & Diaz, Attorneys at Law, Senior Partner Nadine Diaz has been Board Certified as a Civil Trial Specialist by the Florida Bar – a distinction held by less than one percent of all lawyers in the state.
- Have you won any awards or honors? Awards and accolades are a reliable way to tell whether a firm is worth hiring. Our firm’s attorneys, for example, have earned membership in the prestigious Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum®, proving our ability to secure high value verdicts and settlements.
- How much does it cost to begin my case? When you’re injured and facing piles of medical bills, the last thing you should have to worry about is fronting costs to your attorney to begin your case. Look for an attorney or firm that works on a contingency fee basis. This means that there is no cost to begin your case, and fees are only due if your attorney makes a recovery on your behalf.
- If I am not happy with the settlement I have been offered, will you take my case to trial? Look for an attorney with significant trial experience who is not afraid to try cases in court in order to pursue the very best results possible for their client. At Darrigo & Diaz, Attorneys at Law, we always strive for the legal option that will bring you the most money!
If you have been injured in the Tampa area, Darrigo & Diaz, Attorneys at Law is ready to help you pursue full and fair compensation. Case evaluations are provided free of charge, so do not hesitate to contact us to talk to a Tampa personal injury attorney about your potential case. Our office can be reached at (813) 774-3341.