Why bicycle accidents in Tampa are increasing at an alarming rate
Posted By Darrigo & Diaz
Recent headlines are showing an alarming trend across Tampa Bay. Over the past three years, bicycle accidents in Tampa have nearly doubled. According to a report by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), bicycle crashes in Tampa have increased by an average of 12 percent annually each year. Even more alarming, of all the bicycle accidents that happen in Florida each year, approximately one-third occur in Hillsborough County. In this blog, we explain why Tampa Bay is seeing more bicycle-car collisions than anywhere else in the state, and we share what to do if you or a loved one is injured in a bicycle accident in Tampa Bay.
Why are bicycle accidents in Tampa increasing?
Tampa Bay is the fourth deadliest region in the country for pedestrians and cyclists. Last year alone, there were more than 200 deaths from bicycle and pedestrian accidents. Several investigative reports reveal the reasons behind this rise are connected:
1. Tampa’s growing population – Statistically, as a region’s population increases, so too will the number of collisions. From just 2021 to 2022, Tampa Bay saw a 2.2 percent increase in population. More than 70,000 residents moved to the area in that year alone.
2. Increased traffic – As Tampa’s population grows, roadways become busier. With more drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians on the road, the likelihood of an accident increases.
3. Speeding and distracted driving – Recent reports also reveal speeding and distracted driving are becoming a real problem in Tampa Bay. Between 2020 and 2022, 71 percent of all fatal crashes in Hillsborough County involved speeding or aggressive driving. On top of that, distracted driving was found to be involved in two-thirds of all the accidents.
What to do if you or a loved one is injured in a bicycle accident in Tampa
Unfortunately, bicycle accidents happen almost every day in Tampa Bay. And due to the severity of these types of accidents, it’s important to take immediate legal action to ensure your rights are protected. Here are the essential steps to take after a bicycle accident in Tampa.
1. Call 911 and seek medial attention – Even if the accident seems minor, it is imperative that you call the police to file an official accident report and seek prompt medical attention. You will need a police report to file an insurance claim or lawsuit. In addition, under Florida law, you must seek medical attention within 14 days of the accident to submit an accident insurance claim.
2. Collect evidence and information – If you are able to, the next step is to collect as much evidence as possible from the accident scene. This includes taking photos of the scene, documenting road and weather conditions, and getting the contact information of all involved parties and witnesses.
3. Notify your insurance company – Inform your insurance company about the accident as soon as possible. They will guide you through the claims process and help determine whether the other party’s insurance should cover your damages.
4. Contact a Tampa accident attorney – Whether you think you need legal representation or not, it is highly recommended to contact a Tampa Bicycle Accident Attorney. Darrigo & Diaz offers free consultations to everyone who calls our firm. You can speak with one of our injury attorneys to learn about your options.
Injured in bicycle accident in Tampa?
Call Darrigo & Diaz immediately at (813) 437-5523
If you are injured in a bicycle accident in Tampa, you should contact Darrigo & Diaz immediately. We are experienced accident attorneys and understand the severity and nuances of bicycle accident cases. We’ve dealt with many insurance companies and their adjusters, and have a proven track record of securing successful outcomes for our clients.
We offer free consultations and you do not have to pay anything unless we win your case.