Why Women Have a Higher Risk of Being Seriously Injured in Car Crashes
Posted By Darrigo & Diaz
New research shows women are 73% more likely than men to suffer a serious injury when they are involved in a car accident.
With a growing number of vehicles on the road, car accidents happen every day in Tampa Bay. In fact, I-275 in Hillsborough County is one of the busiest highways in America, with the stretch between St. Petersburg and North Tampa Street ranked as the seventh most congested road in the country in 2019. As the number of cars on Tampa’s roadways continues to increase, we can expect to see an increase in the number of accidents, statistically speaking.
But what’s unsettling is that women have a greater risk of being seriously injured in a car accident than men, even though men get into more car accidents and tend to drive faster and for longer periods of time. A new study from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) found that this difference is attributed to the types of vehicles women drive as well as what kind of crashes are involved.
Women have a greater risk of being seriously injured or killed in a car accident due to the types of vehicles they drive.
The IIHS found the following findings in the study:
- Approximately 73% of women who are injured in a car accident are driving a small car, as opposed to a larger vehicle like a truck or SUV.
- Women are 3x more likely than men to suffer a moderate or severe injury when involved in a front or side impact car accident.
- Women are 2.5x more likely than men to suffer a moderate or severe lower body injury when involved in a head-on car accident.
- Women are 20-28% more likely than men to be killed in a car accident.
The IIHS study claims the difference in injury risks between men and women is due to differences in driving behavior and vehicle preference. In car crashes involving two vehicles, men are more likely to be driving large, heavy vehicles, such as a pickup truck, which provide occupants greater protection in the event of an accident.
For example, if a driver of a pickup truck is rear-ended, the bed of the pickup truck will take the brunt of the crash. Similarly, since most pickup trucks sit higher, they also provide protection against head-on collisions and side impacts.
How can you better protect yourself from serious injury in a car crash?
One of the most dangerous and unpredictable places you can be is on the road behind the wheel of your car. Car crashes can occur out of nowhere with little to no warning signs, which makes them frightening. While some accidents are unavoidable, there are steps you can take to better protect yourself from serious injury.
- Purchase a certified safe vehicle – A separate study found that drivers and passengers of vehicles that had been certified with IIHS’s Top Good Rating tended to have a reduced risk of head and lower body injuries when involved in a car crash.
- Keep your car in good, working condition – Staying current on your vehicle’s routine maintenance will help keep you safe in the event of a car crash. The IIHS suggests you follow your manufacturer’s recommended maintenance schedule and regularly check the air in your tires, oil levels, and windshield wiper fluid.
- Follow all traffic laws – It may be common sense, but following all traffic laws is one of the best ways to help keep you safe on Tampa’s roadways. Always obey the speed limit, come to a full halt at stop signs, and never try to “beat” a red light.
- Don’t drive distracted – A primary cause of car crashes in Tampa Bay is driving distracted. Never text and drive; keep your focus ahead, and be mindful of dashboard distractions, such as searching for a song or using the navigation system.
What to do if you’ve been seriously injured in a car crash in Tampa
Contact Darrigo & Diaz, Tampa personal injury lawyers immediately
Call 813-774-3341 for a free consultation
If you have been seriously injured in a car crash in Tampa that was caused by the negligent or reckless actions of another person, you are likely experiencing pain, anger, and confusion about what to do next. This is where the Tampa car accident lawyers at Darrigo & Diaz can help.
For over two decades, Darrigo & Diaz has helped thousands of accident victims and their families in the greater Tampa Bay community. Led by Board Certified Civil Trial Attorney Nadine Diaz, our experienced Tampa personal injury lawyers provide trusted, personalized legal guidance, designed to get you results. We are an esteemed member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum®, and we have over 250 5-Star Google Reviews attesting to our ability to meet and exceed client expectations.
We offer FREE, no-obligation consultations, and you do not have to pay for anything, unless we secure a financial settlement for you. Learn more about our services by calling our Tampa personal injury lawyers today at 813-774-3341.
And, if you prefer to not come into our office, you don’t have to! As Tampa’s e-firm, we offer potential and existing clients the option to meet with us and hire us electronically. Call 813-774-3341 to learn more.